Author Topic: Brand new to racing  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Jwalker139

Brand new to racing
« on: December 19, 2016, 04:47:04 PM »
Brand new to racing. Ive been doing crawlers for years and drifting for a bit too, no racing yet.  Want to try out both onroad and offroad at the matrix track in the early new year!   Recommendations on a good one to pick up for a starter?  Short course trucks is what im after, 4x4 preferably.  I like the look of the slash but ive been told by a few to stay away from it?  :D 

Offline ChrisS

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Brand new to racing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 05:23:57 PM »
For 4x4 scts, there are only two real choices.....TLR and Tekno. Both are good choices, but its like the Ford vs Chevy debate. Are you looking at new or used? ARTR or roller? If used, I have a TLR SCTE 2.0 that I could be persuaded to let go of.

Let me know.

..and welcome to COR!
Yokomo YZ-2
B5M Factory Lite
XB4 2016
TLR SCTE 2.0
yadda, yadda, yadda...

Offline Jwalker139

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 07:17:56 PM »
Thanks for the welcome.  Id be open to new or used.  Something semi entry? but still has lots of potential....  Probably a rtr and i can add to it as i wish (what ive done with all my crawlers and drifters

Offline Jwalker139

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:23:53 PM »
Also another quick question.... 4x2 or 4x4?  Whats better to get started with.  The TA Sc10 looks lime a decent start for the rtr in 4x2.

Offline ChrisS

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 07:59:46 PM »
TBH, most people start out with 2wd SCT rather than 4wd SCT. The 4x4 short course can be a handful if not handled with care until you are used to the power the have. Just turn down the Throttle and you should be fine however. 'Slower is faster' seems to be the mantra, and a good one at that.

Let me know if you are still interested in the 4x4 short course and I can come up with something for you.
Yokomo YZ-2
B5M Factory Lite
XB4 2016
TLR SCTE 2.0
yadda, yadda, yadda...

Offline Richard

• Administrator
  • Mud caked
  • Race Director
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 08:29:19 PM »
Hey Justin ,  As i said in my email  pop by and check us out, try out a 2wd and 4wd truck.

Cost is a factor  when going deciding to go 4 or 2wd. Everything costs just a little less with 2wd making it easier to get started. 2wd will also teach you a bit more  about tuning and  control. Imo to drive 4wd sct properly  takes a lot of self control  not to go full throttle everywhere  lol

TBH, most people start out with 2wd SCT rather than 4wd SCT. The 4x4 short course can be a handful if not handled with care until you are used to the power the have. Just turn down the Throttle and you should be fine however. 'Slower is faster' seems to be the mantra, and a good one at that.

Let me know if you are still interested in the 4x4 short course and I can come up with something for you.

Offline Richard

• Administrator
  • Mud caked
  • Race Director
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:05:58 PM »
Also another quick question.... 4x2 or 4x4?  Whats better to get started with.  The TA Sc10 looks lime a decent start for the rtr in 4x2.

You'll want a mid motor  truck ... sc10  is rear motor  the SC5M is the newer mid motor . Seems small difference but its actually a BIG deal

Offline Jwalker139

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 08:26:37 AM »
Thanks for the helpful info. Could be interested in the used that you mentioned. I'll have to message you

As far as the sc5m goes is it only a kit version or does it come rtr as well?

Is there practice going on tonight?  Last of the year I'd assume?  If work allows I'll try to get there otherwise I will for sure be out in the early new year to see what it's all about!!!

Offline Curby76

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
Get yr self into a losi TLR or a tekno 4x4..
And if u mean want to go 2wd go with the sc5m..
Do not I repeat do not use a slash for racing. There no good for TuNing on the indoor track..

Offline Nolan

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 02:39:02 PM »
Yes there is a practice tonight.
Xb2
Xb4
Xb8
MBX7eco