Author Topic: New Truck  (Read 870 times)

Offline Jackidoo

New Truck
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »
So, I am looking to get into a SCT. I am looking at a Traxxas slash, or the Team Associated SC10. If someone could tell me which is superior from experience, or has seen both handle that would be great. I am aware of the HCG on the slash, but I heard there is a LCG chassis kit.
Also thought it would be a good idea to say that i'm looking to get into some racing.

Offline Richard

• Administrator
  • Mud caked
  • Race Director
Re: New Truck
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »
hey !

if your serious about racing DONOT  buy a slash !!! if you have one it will work but if your going out to buy a truck to race a slash isn't the one to buy

sc10 2wd would be ok but not ideal

The club reccomends the following trucks respectively

2wd
- team associated SC5M  mid motor for indoor  great parts support at the trAck from everyone
-Losi 22 sct  good mid motor  truck not quite as popular but still guys running them at the track (including my son)

4wd
there is only two trucks  to consider don't buy anything else

tekno sct410
losi scte  3.
 both have  several  versions  with the older ones being cheaper  used

there isn't many ready to run packages  but if you have an RC already I'm sure you know how to work on them  kits at be ordered they Matrix hobbies (where we race ) and there is always used electronics  or even new thru Matrix  the guys on here are always eager to help (sometimes to much lol)

any questions ask  so you don't buy the wrong thing and get discouraged 

Offline Jackidoo

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »
Alright, sweet. So looks like i need to buy the servos, transmitters and motors?
Are there any combo type packages? I know there is the castle sidewinder motor/esc combo, is that any good?
And as far as servos go, you mentioned used electronics, those any good or should I buy new?
Transmitter is no issue, as I have one...
Sorry, new to this but don't really want to blow the bank, cause I don't have a job, only fifteen :p
on a side note, are minors even allowed in the club...?

Offline Bob

• COR Executive
  • Mud caked
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 10:43:44 PM »
Of course,  any age is welcome. And under 16 is junior with cheap rates
TLR 22T, TLR 22SCT, AE B6
TLR 22SCT, Tekno SCT410
XRay 808, XRay XB4 2015,XRay XB4 2018
XRay XB2 2018, AYK Buffalo
STADIUM FOREVER!

Offline islandscott

• COR Executive
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 11:34:40 PM »
Hey Jack, if you do go the SC10 route, we can set you up with my son Julian's old one. He ran it for a year until I upgraded him to an SC5m. The SC5m is for sure the faster truck around corners, but learning how to race is more important in the beginning. Also, as cost is a consideration, we can set you up with everything but a transmitter for a fraction of the cost. There's also enough spare parts to literally build a second truck. Julian became a fast driver learning on this truck. Let me know if you're interested.

You say you have a transmitter, which one do you have?
I don't know if anyone runs Castle stuff. I think Tekin and Hobbywing are the most popular ESCs. A few of us use the Hobbyking x-car ESCs with Trackstar motors as a cheaper option. The Savox servos seem to be the most popular as they are the cheapest name brand and tough/reliable.

Offline Jackidoo

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 12:04:45 PM »
Thank you for the offer, I think that sounds like a good option. Would you be able to hook me up with a battery and charger? I have a stock traxxas 2.4 GHz control thingy. The handheld piece. How much would the truck run me? thanks again guys for all the help.

Offline islandscott

• COR Executive
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 07:57:13 PM »
Sent you a PM Jack.