Author Topic: New to RC Racing  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Bruce

• Mud caked
New to RC Racing
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:20:00 PM »
New Racer??

Curious about RC racing? Come on out to the track and check it out! New racers and curious onlookers are always welcome! If you have a Short Course truck or Buggy bring it and try it out. If you don't have a car, come out anyway and we'll get you on the track one way or another. You don't need to know anything other than that you're interested in learning! Come on up to the check in table, tell us that you're new, and we'll buddy you up with someone who will show you the ropes.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:47:24 AM by brew99 »
Yokomo YZ-4 and 2

if you're not racing to have fun, then you're doing it WRONG!!

Offline DougM

Re: New to RC Racing
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 02:09:22 PM »
I am new to electric rc buggies I have always had nitro. When selecting an rc electric what does the spec mean 14t, 13.5t etc

Offline gotnitro

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:24:46 PM »
spec means a designated turned motor is only allowed. some specs are 13.5 and 17.5 not sure what they are running in Nanaimo may be 17.5. Open is any turn motor.

Offline Mick

• Mud caked
  • Frankenstache....
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 02:45:48 PM »
Hey Doug,

The Spec which you are referring to is the number of winds of wire used in the making of the electric brushless motors used in the electric classes. The higher the number, the slower the motor. ie, a 5.5T motor is significantly faster than a 17.5 motor.

For racing with COR locally we generally don't require you to use a specific motor, you can use whatever motor you wish, but that being said the track at Matrix Hobbies is a medium to small sized track so there is little benefit to use a low-wind motor. Most beginners feel a faster motor is better even though they cannot handle the power, this is not recommended, lol. You are better to start out with something like a 10.5, which is still a very powerful motor but not an insane amount. Once you can handle that you can go do what you like!

For racing with Nanaimo's club - NERD, they run a no spec 2wd short course truck class meaning you can run any motor you like, just like down here, but their main class is a 17.5 ONLY class for 2wd buggies. They believe a spec class makes for very close racing... They also have a very small facility so it would be pointless to run much more power...
Vintage Tamiya Wild One  New/Old Kyosho Optima  XRAY XB2  XRAY XB4 LOSI SCTE 2.0

gotm2.com

Offline Jordy

• Forum Veteran
  • "TheBaconator"
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »
Yes we run 17.5 in Nanaimo in 2wd buggy. Makes for very close racing with the top 10 to 12 cars all within seconds of each other and they are plenty fast for a small to medium twisty track. Our open short course class is entertaining but very few guys get to use all the power they have on tap.......
I agree with Mick. Drop a 10.5 in a chassis either buggy or short course and you'll have tons of fun racing and enough power to spare.
I'll probably get heckled for saying this but.... You can always add the B word to the ESC...... BOOST. Or electronic timing advance making a slow motor act like a fast motor!

Jordy.
Your batteries puff????? I'm sorry. I don't know what that is........ I run Max Amps.

Offline Geezer

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2018, 08:29:48 AM »
Hi, my name is Gord and I am fairly new to all this but of course as I usually do I have jumped into RCs without a chute. I have already purchased a TLR SCTE 3.0 kit and running a Hobbywing 4600 KVM motor and Xerun XR8 SCT Pro ESC on 2S. Since building it up and getting it running I have managed to break it enough times to figure out what fails and what doesn't and I think I have it to a state where it is pretty tough to break even for me.

Anyway, I am looking forward to getting together with some of you and maybe running my truck in an environment where I am less likely to hit things at top speed ;) I'm also looking to tap some of your more experienced members on setup tips.

Hope to see you soon.

Gord